About Portrait Now!
In 2019, The Museum of National History at Frederiksborg Castle will host the Nordic competition The Carlsberg Foundation’s Portrait Award. It is the seventh time that the competition is held.
The aim of the competition is to bring about greater interest for ‘the portrait’ amongst artists and the general public. The competition is open to entries in the form of a painting, a sculpture, a video, an installation or a work of sonic art.
Nordic artists are invited to join the competition alongside artists from a number of Eastern European countries. The participation of artists from the Eastern European countries is handled in collaboration with Carlsberg in Ukraine.
An international jury will select the best portraits, which will be exhibited at the exhibition Portrait Now! 2019 at The Museum of National History at Frederiksborg Castle in May 2019.
The following prizes will be awarded:
- First prize is 85.000 DKK
- Second prize is 35.000 DKK
- Third prize is 15.000 DKK
- Audience prize is 10.000 DKK
- Young Talent Prizes are 10.000 DKK
- Special prizes are 30.000 DKK
The members of the jury are:
- Christopher Baker, Director, Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Mikhail Ovchinnikov, First deputy director, Fabergé Museum, Sct. Petersburg, Russia
- Ólöf Kristín Sigurðardóttir, Director, Reykjavík Art Museum, Iceland
- Henrik Wivel, Art critic, Denmark
- Pontus Ljungberg, Director, Ljungbergmuseet, Sweden
- Lucy Dahlsen, Curator, National Portrait Gallery, London
- Mette Skougaard, Director, The Museum of National History at Frederiksborg Castle, Denmark
Artists from the Nordic countries can submit their work of art for the competition using the sign up-form on this website. Artists from the Nordic countries have to submit by December 31st 2018, 23:59.
On this website you will also find the rules for the competition and guidelines for handing in the artwork. You can also stay updated by subscribing to our newsletter.
Please use #portraitnow if you publish relevant material on social media.
We would love to hear from you!